Sunday, March 27, 2011

Vegan Curries and Couscous

These are the items featured in Wednesday's River City Vegan Cooking Class: The Spice Trade:

  • Thai Lemongrass Curry (with accompanying jasmine lemongrass rice).
  • Indian Eggplant Curry
  • Moroccan Couscous.

So many choices!

I pretty much poured over all my recipe books to find the best possible combinations to highlight the use of spice when making delicious vegan meals that you can cook to impress your friends.

After picking some pretty freaking amazing sounding recipes to recreate, I ventured out to Tan-A Asian market in the West End. I recommend Tan-A for the cheapest and most exotic produce, soy products, rice and spices available in the RVA area. But ALWAYS bring cash, as they do not take credit cards. Also be prepared for a noxious fish odor to hit your nasal cavity upon entering.  In my opinion, it is worth braving the fishy smell for great deals on all sorts of exotic and vegan friendly obtainable options at Richmond's very own Asian market. 
All these Thai Chilies for $1.80!

Once food stuffs were procured, the recipes were successfully tested on yet another set of my most wonderful friends who donate their time by hanging around, drinking beer and watching me chop veggies before being forced to sit down with a heaping plate of food and tell me just how good it is!

So the verdict is out, just spicy enough, a bit more lime here, and a bit more salt there, and I think we've got it! 

SO. If you would like to learn how to make amazing curries and couscous, join me at the William Byrd Community House this coming Wednesday at 6:00 p.m.! Click here to register:
http://www.wbch.org/wp/?p=635

No comments:

Post a Comment