Monday, March 7, 2011

Samedi Gras Party: Vegan King Cake, Gumbo, Dirty Rice and Collards and more!

Gluttony! Is it really necessary to say more? Maybe not, but since this is a blog, I feel compelled. This is the second week in a row that we have thrown a dinner party. Apparently I like this food and friends thing. Who knew?!

On the menu: (a big huge thank you to this website: Mardi Gras... Minus the Meat )
*I linked each of these dishes to the recipe I used, then added my tips in parenthesis.
** There is a certain person that I cook for quite a bit who absolutely abhors both onions and green peppers, so considering their selective taste, I use red peppers in place of green, double the garlic and use a boat load of onion powder to offset the lack of actual onion. This seems to work quite well, as each dish was properly devoured by all of the guests. :-)


King Cake (tips: cut the salt by 2/3, cut the filling by 1/2, and double the amount of icing)
What king cake is suppose to look like.
This is not what mine looked like :-(
*a sad note on the king cake: it was ugly. very very ugly. As good of a cook as I am, I am not such a hot baker. Didn't taste half bad, just looked... well, awful!
Gumbo (tips: add the file at the very end, and don't use miso, make a roux with Earth Balance and flour, and add that at the end as well, also, add as much veggies as you care to and don't really adhere to the specific amounts dictated by the recipe)
Dirty Rice (tips: I don't like to use mock meat, so I just use kidney beans)
Cajun Collards (really, this one turned out fabulous, so I have no tips)

The guests supplemented with:
  • Dixie Beer <3 <3 <3
  • Rum
  • Cajun spiced fingerling potatoes
  • Blueberry and buckwheat dumplings
  • Succotash dumplings
  • Pancakes
  • Chicory Coffee (french press)
  • and Beignets, prepared fresh in the kitchen for dessert (french donuts)
I am formally stating in writing that I have the best possible friends who consistently outdo themselves every time we have a dinner party!



Bruce brought me Dixie Beer <3
As a reminder: Sign up for my vegan cooking class!!!!!!! Seriously, Do it!
email Jessica at
jturner@wbch.org 
or call
(804)643-2717 ext 324

No comments:

Post a Comment