Thursday, July 28, 2011

How to Host a Vegan Baby Shower for Non-Vegans

VEGAN BABY SHOWER
OMG!!! Have a baby and you too, can have a pile-o-presents!


Apparently having babies is the new hip thing... well, for others. I'm bucking the trend, but it was bound to happen that I would eventually be tasked to throw one of these suckers.

A few things to note:
1. I am on a tight budget
2. 23 ladies not including myself would be in attendance
3. Ladies, while fine with eating lighter fare, will descend like locusts upon said lighter fare!

The Menu:

  • Limeade
  • Cupcakes that resemble Oscar the Grouch and Cookie Monster
  • Salsa Verde
  • Guacamole and tortilla chips
  • Fruit Salad
  • Israeli Salad
  • Hummus and Fresh toasted pita chips

Teehee!

Total Grocery Store Bill: $70 or about $3 per person

Tips:

I did a do it yourself limeade station. Really this was because I forgot that I didn't have a punch bowl! But also, when you run out of ginger ale, you can fill the limeade pitcher with water and add more lime slices for refreshing lime water... only thing that would be better would be cucumber water!

Pita chips can be pricey. Buy the actual pita bread and bake in the over for 15 minutes at about 275 degrees.
Mutant cupcake!!!! Notice how none of the other cupcakes judge? mutant cupcake is just one of the crew.

I made three types of cupcakes from my new favorite cookbook, Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World. Vanilla, Chocolate and Lemon. Chocolate goes first. Always. i used the recipe for vegan butter cream icing, and added dry food coloring rather than the liquid to keep the texture such that it could be piped properly.
These cupcakes are like lemmings... blindly following each other to their doom...

The mom-to-be's only request was for my guacamole. it is pretty darned amazing. true. So, i figured I'll go ahead and post that recipe here:

Jen's Addictively Good Guacamole:
(Also so easy, it's crazy)
1 avocado
1 tablespoon lime juice
2 cloves of garlic, diced
1 teaspoon salt

smush all ingredients together, till thoroughly mashed up.

I know. So crazy easy!

Last tip: Have someone else do the games. I do the cooking and the hosting... let another person do that part while you are refilling the guac!



No comments:

Post a Comment